Friday, March 21, 2008

another book


I just finished reading this book. I've been reading a lot about food lately. It's funny how that happens - it seems accidental. I have a long list of books that I want to read and yet the food related books are the ones that keep becoming available at the library.

It is a very thorough look at the history of food in our country and with that women's history as well. It is fascinating and troubling. And yet at the end, I was inspired. We live in a time and place where finding locally grown, organic produce is fairly easy. We can raise some of it ourselves, but we don't have to. Its a good thing, because I don't know if I'd survive.

John and I think and talk a lot about food. We eat a lot of food. We've been making a lot of our own food now that we're attempting (struggling?) to cut our grocery budget in half. We're trying to balance our financial health with our physical health. So far, we think we've been eating better actually. We're becoming better bakers and really enjoying what we eat and the effort it takes to make it. We have chosen to live a relatively simple lifestyle so that Ruby & I can stay home together and this is part of it. Another unexpected benefit of Ruby becoming part of our family.

No comments: